Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What’s the big idea? - Week 1

Defining and Examples of Thinking Skills:
Please excuse my robotic approach to this task, but I don't want to miss anything.
Observing: Just watching that which is going on around you. I personally do a lot of this, and I perceptive about changes in what I observe.


Imaging: Your ability to visualize your feelings and emotions. For instance, one of the things that makes me a good cook is that I visualize the taste that should go together by assign ing a color in my mind to the taste. This seems like a good way to teach abstract ideas to children.Similar to Alphabet characters.

Abstract Thinking: Creating ideas or theories that are not easily represented in reality.I struggle with this kind of thinking becasue I have the desire to ground everything in reality. So I think I can best utilize Abstract Thinking in a Transformational way. Where I use analogy or imaging to explain abstract ideas.

Recognizing Patterns: Discovering Gravity. Noticing that objects that are different sizes fall at the same speed.Recognizing patterns is a good teaching tool because to give your audience clear methods of identfying and reconciling their own answers. By simply helping them to identify patterns for themselves.

Forming Patterns: Combining two or more consistent operations and creating new ideas. E.g. Cameras involve the understanding light and how it travels combined with capturing the image on film.

Analogizing: Using what you know something to draw comparisons and assumptions to a similar idea.

Body thinking: Smelling, Tasting, Seeing

Empathesizing: Looking from another perspective
Dimensional Thinking: Studying principles of aerodynamics and designing a car that is less resistant to wind.
Modeling: Structured exercise designed to simulate real life.
Playing: Involves role playing and having fun with real life situations. Playing is a creative exercise.
Transforming: The process of moving from one thinking tool to another. Moving from modeling to playing.
Synthesizing: Integrating multiple thinking tools to produce a deeper perception or thought. This differs from transformation, because process is not changing into a different process along a linear plane. Synthesis happens with the integration of multiple processes simultaneously.

Having these tools in you arensenal, gives many ways of reaching people

No comments:

Post a Comment