Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Module 7: What's the Big Idea?

What's the Big Idea.

This module examined Playing and Transforming.  From the outset the concept of Playing reminded me of Modeling. However, as I got into the reading it became more apparent that the fundamental differences hinged on expectations or lack there of. In modeling, you are trying to test how something will perform in reality. So you making assumptions and testing your assumptions. With playing you are exploring without expectation, you allow experimentation to reveal unsuspected truths. As I heard the personality descriptions of the inventors who exercised this thinking tool, it reminded me of myself. Today, I interrupted a presentation on an Avaya VOIP phone, because I couldn't stop playing with the features. In the end, I may frustrated the Instructor, but I walked out there knowing how to use all of the phones features and even showed the Instructor how to change the ring tones on the phone.

Transformations, the creative process of changing ones  approach to resolving problems. In diagnosing difficult problems, sometimes the only thing that we can change is ourselves and how we are looking at a thing. The text illustrates several examples where people were able to resolve difficult problems by simply changing their approach to the problem. The most graphic description being that of the MSU students who were able to detect subtle difference in urine by using sound

No comments:

Post a Comment