Sunday, October 17, 2010

What's the big idea - Week 3

Recognizing patterns in art, language, and in everyday activities  requires multi-sensory observation. However, it is something that with practice becomes easier to apply in your life. I have always used patterns to assist in my learning comprehension. This has largely due to the amount of time that it requires for me to process information. Recognizing patterns helps me to fill-in the blanks. The reading for this week also expanded my view of patterns, for instance using patterns to interpret  and create music. I found this very interesting because as a music enthusiast I can often predict the direction of music that I never heard before. After reading the assigned reading I associated that ability to pickup on the musical pattern.

As an example of musical collaboration based on rhythmic patterns of music, the book used examples from the musical tradition of West Africa, and its influence on American Jazz. However, I would like to extend that influence to Hip-Hop music. As a lifelong fan of rap music, I think that it has received a bad rap (non pun intended). Largely, because outsiders don't understand that it's true beauty lies in the process of its creation and not the creation in and of itself. In its purest form it is rhythmic, spontaneous, witty, and creative, but that doesn't fully translate to a record or top 40 hit as well as it communicated in a circle on a street corner, in a bathroom of a skating rink, or subway tunnel. When people who don't know each other can come together, and weave together poetry, spontaneous anecdotes, and their own unique style of delivery it is something special, and at the root of it all is the ability to recognize, combine, and form patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment