Saturday, March 12, 2011

Module 3 - Imaginitive Bridges Post #2

I enjoyed comparing the shopping experiences. For my assignment I compared the Meijer and Walmart. I never paid much attentino to the shoppoing experience in either store but there were some very distinct differences. The Meijer store that I visited felt more quaint, than Walmart experience. However, Walmart felt like the place that I would find a better deal. The bridge that find to teaching is the importance of environment to learning. My eldest child has been to three different schools in the last three years. My daughter excels in schools, but my wife and I wanted an environment that would promote excellence. Her current school is that way, one of the things that was different from the outset was that they have somebody in the parking lot at the beginning of the day to greet the children as they come in.For security purpose you have to enter the school through the office.When ever we have questions we get answers, which is not the case at the other schools. So from the time you enter the building you are left with the sense that your child in good hands.

In comparing the experiences, I feel like the Meijer I visited did a good job of that from the time I entered to the store.There is someone to greet you, the appearance of the store is orderly, and well maintained, and the colors were vibrant.

There were elements of the Walmart that I like, but on a whole it felt more like a warehouse. When you enter the building there is a shopping cart area that is big and feels dungeon like. There is a greeter, but the first thing I saw was the tired looking fruit.

Relating back to teaching, it is important for children to feel that there is life in their school. I have been in far too many schools that feel like institutions. Where there isn't any color on the walls or evidence of life. Not to mention broken equipment or text books in disrepair. All of these things contribute to the environment, and send a message to the student.

No comments:

Post a Comment