Sunday, April 24, 2011

Work of Art: A moment in rhyme

Well interestingly enough, the day I was supposed to record the interview my subject has to leave out for a week. So upon his arrival, I was playing catchup to complete the assignment.The goal of the task was to demonstrate the process of creating compelling art. To do this I solicited the help of friend, Lawyer, CEO, and poet; Andre Dandridgeor MSC (My Struggle Continues). Hip Hop, is an art form that more than any music is expected to reflect your life experiences.In the interview I tried to demonstrate how Andre upbringing in Detroit plays a role in the music he creates.The interview focused on two songs that I can flow with the best of them and Ghetto Family. Both these songs did a good job of capturing the two extremes of the same experience.MSC explains in the video that he uses the music as inspiration for his subject matter. From there he uses the subject matter as the framework that he uses to attach lyrics. After creating a sketch of the rhyme he edits and revisits it until he is done. The compelling nature of MSCs rhymes come from his content, delivery, and music. MSC chooses inspirational themes that address the common struggles of everyday people.He uses ad libs on separate vocal tracks to integrate different perspectives in the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment